As a White Ribbon Ambassador and also Chair of the Victorian White Ribbon Committee I am encouraging everyone to do something this White Ribbon Night (July 27-29) to help raise awareness to the problem of Family Violence in our community.
- One woman a week is killed at the hands of a current or former partner in Australia.
- One in four children are exposed to domestic violence.
- One in five women have been sexually assaulted and/or threatened since turning fifteen.
This is not just a national problem but affects us close to home.
For example, in my local town in Shepparton Victoria, our local statistics make sobering reading with the City of Greater Shepparton 10th in the State (2016/2017) for Family Incidents reported to the Police out of 79 Local Government Areas. This equates to nearly 3 incidents per day and 26 per week. Each incidents affects people we might know, our family, our friends our workmates, our community.
But we can do something about it.
By hosting a White Ribbon Night this July, you will raise valuable funds for White Ribbon Australia that contribute directly to critical violence prevention programs in schools, workplaces and communities.
Get your friends together on the last weekend of July to help create a future free from violence and abuse in Australia.
Stuck for ideas? Here’s a few to get you started!
- BBQ – invite your friends over for a barbeque and charge a gold coin donation. Hold a raffle to help raise extra funds.
- Host a dinner – ask everyone to bring a plate, and make a donation before they try a new dish.
- Watch a game – pick a footy game and have your friends around to watch! Ask them to donate every time the opposite team scores a goal or try, or charge for entry.
- Trivia night – get quizzical! Charge your friends an entry fee, or hold a raffle on the night. You could even organise some trivia questions about violence against women to help spread understanding of the cause, as well as raising funds.
For further information on the White Ribbon campaign go t0 www.whiteribbon.org.au
If you need help immediately, ring 000. Otherwise ring 1800Respect 1800 737 732
White Ribbon Ambassador
Chair Victorian White Ribbon Committee